When the temperature starts to drop, who doesn’t love to cook up a cozy, classic beef stew? Made with beef, carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes, its hearty nature makes it particularly appealing on chilly autumn and winter evenings. Plus, the cooking of it will make your apartment super toasty and comfortable! Wonderfully aromatic, warmingly delicious, and perfect for any occasion, we have no doubt that this recipe for the beef stew will become a tried-and-true family favorite for years to come.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 pounds top sirloin steak, diced
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1 medium sweet onion, diced
• 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
• 2 celery ribs, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1/2 cup dry red wine
• 2 1/2 cups beef stock
• 4 sprigs fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season steak with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Working in batches, add steak to the stockpot and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 6-8 minutes; set aside.
2. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned about 3-4 minutes.
4. Whisk in flour and tomato paste until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
5. Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the stockpot.
6. Add beef stock, thyme, bay leaves, and steak. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until beef is very tender about 30 minutes.
7. Stir in potato; simmer until potatoes are just tender and the stew has thickened about 20 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Stir in parsley; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately afterward.
Coming up with new meal ideas can be a challenge. Luckily, Westmount at Summer Cove Apartments in Houston, Texas makes it simple by presenting deliciously realistic options, such as this one!